The conference will take place in a number of venues across the historic centre of Split.
MEDITERRANEAN CENTER FOR CONSTRUCTION HERITAGE
Bosanska ul. 4, Split
This is part of the original structure of Diocletian’s palace, situated on the first floor of the north-western tower of the Palace. This tower changed its role and purpose during the history of Split. It was as a part of the city’s fortifications until the 17th century, but it also served for other purposes. In the early Middle Ages its ground floor housed a church of St. Peter, which in the 11th century became the integral part of a Benedictine monastery that existed there for centuries. In the late Middle Ages the upper floor was partly demolished and adapted to provide space for guards. Documents reveal that it was still used by the city guard in the 17th century, and that until that time cannons were still positioned in the tower. In 1817, after the acquisition of Dalmatia by the Habsburgs, the ground floor was used as a dungeon for some time. In modern times, the tower was used as the repository of the Historical Archive until the fire in 1970 that considerably damaged both the repository and the tower itself.
Since renovation, the upper floors of the tower have housed the Regional Centre of the Faculty of Architecture in Zagreb, the Graduate Study of the Architectural Heritage, and later the Mediterranean Centre for the Architectural Heritage of the University of Split.
CROATIAN ACADEMY OF SCIENCES AND ARTS
Trg braće Radića 7, Split
The palace of the Milesi family is one of the best known historic palaces in Split, because it was built in an open space, surrounded by three small piazzas. It is situated in the medieval part of Split close to the Riva, on the square that was used as the fruit market until the end of the WWII. The Milesi were a wealthy merchant family who immigrated to Split from Italy under Venetian rule. The family acquired noble status at the beginning of the 18th century, and decided to build a baroque palace similar to those popular at that time in the capital of Venice. In the first half of the 19th century it was used as a casino, a place for the entertainment for the upper class of Split. The casino was a venue for balls and official receptions, but also a place to play billiards, cards and darts, or to read newspapers and magazines. Afterwards it was divided into several apartments used for housing, while the ground floor was used for commercial purposes. In 1956 the palace housed the Naval Museum of Split under the custodianship of the Croatian Academy of Sciences and Arts. After the Museum separated from the Academy and moved to the fortress outside of the city centre, the palace became the Centre of the Croatian Academy for Arts and Sciences. As such it is the venue for numerous lectures and exhibitions, as well as for various annual exhibitions such as “The book of the Mediterranean” and “The Days of Marulić”.
THE MUNICIPAL MUSEUM OF SPLIT
Papalićeva 1, Split
The venue known as the Gothic hall is situated in another Gothic-Renaissance palace, the house of the noble Papalić family. Today the palace houses the municipal museum of Split, which was founded in 1946, as the institution which tells the story of Split from its beginnings in the sunset of antiquity till modern times. Collections are exhibited on the three floors, and the Gothic hall is one part.
The palace was built in the northern section of Diocletian’s palace in the second half of the 15th and the first half of the 16th century. In contrast with the baroque splendour of Milesi palazzo, the Papalić palace is situated in a small street and enclosed by surrounding buildings. It is a fine example of a Renaissance palace with an inner courtyard and monumental staircase, a design that has come to form part of the traditional architecture of Dalmatia. The Gothic Hall is situated on its first floor as the central part of piano nobile. It acquired its name from the original wooden ceiling painted in Gothic style.
CENTRE FOR CULTURE AND LIFELONG EDUCATION
Dioklecijanova ulica 7, Split
Close to the northern gates of the Diocletian’s palace, known as Golden Gate, is situated the Centre for Culture and Lifelong Education “Zlatna vrata (Golden Gates)”. The centre is housed in a large Romanesque palace with Gothic adaptions that is one of the largest medieval palaces in Split. It is another grand palace whose core is an enclosed courtyard and also has a monumental stairway that leads to a loggia. The building was thoroughly renovated in 1958, and from then on it has housed the Cinematheque’s theatre of Split and the Centre for Culture and Lifelong Education.
THE MUNICIPAL PUPPET THEATRE OF SPLIT
Tončićeva 1, Split
One of the venues for the conference is the municipal puppet theatre. This theatre has been part of the cultural scene of Split since 1945, when it was established after the liberation of Split in 1944. The theatre is housed in the historic building built in the “Sezession/Art nouveau” style during the Austria-Hungary period. The building was originally owned by the Pan-Slavic society ”Sokol“ until the prohibition of the society in 1929. The theatre is situated on the ground floor, while the upper floor has another hall which was originally used as a gymnastics training hall, and is currently undergoing a thorough renovation.
CITY YOUTH THEATRE SPLIT
Trg Republike 1, Split
The largest lecture hall is used by the Municipal Youth Theatre of Split. This organisation began in British territory in the Sinai Peninsula during WWII, and was founded in December 1943 as a cultural and artistic company for the children in Dalmatian refugees’ camp in El Shatt. The company performed scenes from folklore, ballet, chorus and drama, and plays were performed in Cairo, Alexandria, Suez and other cities for members of the refugee camp soldiers. The first public performance was held on 18th February 1944. In 1953 the Company became the Children’s Theatre “Sailors of Tito”, with a mission to gather children and young people for drama and ballet and for a chorus, and from 1965 it has had a professional acting company.
The theatre is a part of the large complex built around the Square of the Republic, better known among inhabitants of Split as the Prokurative. The complex was the idea of the mayor of Split, Antonio Bajamonti. It was intended to be a new civic centre with the seat of the municipality, high schools, a chamber of commerce, a casino, a reading room, a cafe, a hotel, and possibly a stock market, and to resemble the Piazza San Marco in Venice. The core of the complex was the Teatro Bajamonti. The building was erected by mayor Bajamonti with his own funds and he sold parts to the families of Split. There were four rows, which could accommodate up to 1500 spectators. The Teatro Bajamonti was open for opera and drama performances and concerts, mostly by foreign theatre troupes, but Split amateur groups also performed. The theatre was destroyed by fire after only 20 years, on 14 May 1881. It was never renewed in its original form. The present-day building was built in its place, in which the youth theatre is located on the first floor, and, until recently, the ground floor housed on of the town’s cinemas.
THE PERISTYLE HALL
UNIVERSITY OF SPLIT
Poljana kraljice Jelene 1, Split
This lecture hall is situated in one of the rare buildings built within the Palace in the 20th century. It was designed by the Croatian architect Neven Šegvić and it is considered to be one of the most successful interpolations of the modern within a historic surrounding. Since it was built it has continued to provoke conflicting reactions among the locals, particularly because of its clean lines of its plain façade, made from polished white limestone. Its most successful part is the ground floor, where the original pavement and walls of the Palace are still visible in situ. Today this building houses several research institutions of the University of Split and a bank on the ground floor. The Lecture Hall is situated on the top floor with one of the most spectacular views of the Peristyle.
CROATIAN NATIONAL THEATRE, SPLIT
Trg Gaje Bulata 1, Split
The new Municipal Theatre was built after a heated political disagreement between Italian and Croatian parties, which resulted in the decision that Teatro Bajamonti was not to be rebuilt. Instead a new building was to be constructed in neo-renaissance style. At the time of its opening on the 6th May of 1893, with the auditorium of 1000 seats, it was the largest theatre in the Balkans. At first, the theatre did not have a permanent ensemble, but since 1940 it has functioned as the Croatian National Theatre Split, with professional opera, drama and ballet ensembles. Work on the Theatre was interrupted already in 1941 by the Italian occupation, but after the liberation and restoration of peace the National Theatre Split was re-established on 1st July 1945. The core of the new ensemble were members of the People’s Liberation Theatre of Dalmatia, founded on the island of Vis in 1944. The Theatre building was almost completely destroyed by fire in February 1970. It took almost a decade for the Theatre building to be reconstructed, during which the original building was extended and an annex was added to the back. The official opening of the new building was on 19th May 1980. The theatre prepares and performs music-stage and dramatic programs of contemporary works, works of national and international music and drama, but it is also a venue for most official events in the city.
DIOCLETIAN’S PALACE SUBSTRUCTURES
The Substructures of the Palace of Diocletian represent one of the best preserved ancient complexes of the kind in the world, and are one of the principal reasons for the inclusion in 1979 of the historical core of Split in UNESCO’S World Heritage list.
In Roman times, their function was to support the Emperor’s chambers on the floor above, and they were probably used for storage and as a utility area for the Palace. As their plan mirrors that of the chambers above, they give an idea of the original appearance of the imperial apartments above.
The plenary lecture will be held in the grand hall, the substructure below the main reception hall of the imperial Palace.